Just in time for Valentines Day! I love love to decorate Sugar cookies, royal icing is an art I’m dying to master. BUT I don’t like sugar cookies that much. They’re too sweet and just, well, sugary. So I wanted to try to make a cookie that I would enjoy eating as much as I enjoy decorating. I took my basic sugar cookie recipe and added two of my favorite things, chocolate and Nutella, an Ta-Da! Success!
These cookies, look fabulous, smell unbelivable and taste out of this world! If your a Nutella fan like me, odds are you’ll already have all the ingredients on hand already, just in time to whip up some for the one’s you love!
Chocolate Nutella Sugar Cookies
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup butter (softened at room temperature)
1/4 cup Nutella
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
1 egg, lightly beaten (egg should be at room temperature)
3 Tablespoons Milk
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Sift together all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar and salt.
3. Cut in butter and blend with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
4. With a fork, stir in lightly beaten egg, vanilla, milk and Nutella. Blend well with fork, then your hands to ensure thorough blending.
5. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes.
6. Place on baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Sprinkle with sugar or leave plain for decorating with icing.
7. Bake for 6 – 7 minutes, or until lightly brown.
My love of all things food. I draw my inspiration from everyday life, books, magazines, tv, internet and necessity. As a wife and mom I'm cooking for the toughest critics, a meat and potatoes loving hubby and a picky toddler. I try to keep changing while attempting to keep my food healthy, fresh, easy, fast but most importantly it's gotta be good!
The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs by Karen Page & Andrew Dornenburg